Sunday, January 9, 2011

Nilla Apple Crisp

Another recipe tonight ... weird, huh?  I had my parents and sister over for dinner, so I did a bit of cooking and baking today.  Food must be on my mind.

This one comes by way of Kraft Food & Family magazine, and I made it tonight for our dessert.  It was very easy, even easier because I have one of these handy dandy apple peeler corers and it made the dirty work a breeze.  And aren't the peeled apples beautiful?




Nilla Apple Crisp

8 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 4 large/2 lbs.)
1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar, divided
2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
1/3 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup cold margarine (I used butter and it tasted great)
25 Reduced-Fat Nilla Wafers, crushed  (about 1 cup crumbs)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Toss apples with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and 1 tsp. of the cinnamon.  Spoon into 8- or 9-inch square baking dish.

Combine oats, the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon in medium bowl.  Cut in margarine/butter with pastry blender or two knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add wafer crumbs; mix well.  Spread crumb mixture evenly over apples.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until apples are tender.  Serve warm or cooled.

You can serve this with whipped cream or ice cream.  And we felt like it would be best served on the warm side of things.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments: