Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Littlest Teacher

Last night, as we were driving home from my parents' house, Baylor was jabbering in the backseat, as usual, when all of a sudden Mollie started to do something.  Though it was dark, Baylor could see his sister move and found her actions incredibly fascinating.  Sometimes a little thing she'll do will tickle his fancy and he'll laugh a good hearty laugh.  This time, though, he exclaimed, "What's gonna happen next?!"

Now, he's said this before, often in while reading a book or watching a movie, but this time I was unable to provide an answer.  And then I realized, as I sat in the dark listening to my kids giggle at each other, that that was it ... that was a great life lesson to be learned and clung to.

You never know what's going to happen next, but you should hold the giddy anticipation of it in your heart and let it pour through you.  It keeps you in the moment, keeps you present and always amazed.  Life is unpredictable and that's what makes it so grand.

Oh, and apparently I am not the only one learning from her child ... I just read this and it made me smile and nod.

No comments: