Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Year of Gratitude: Day 146

Today I am grateful that we got to spend a lot of time with some very good friends of ours.  I have known my friend since elementary school and her husband since they first started dating not long after high school.  Both of them were in our wedding, and I was in theirs.  I held their first daughter the day she was born and have snuggled the other two as soon as I could (extenuating circumstances prevented hospital visits).  They have likewise been there for important moments our children's lives.  They are the kind of old friends that you can spend months apart from and still pick right back up where you left off.

Tonight we "partied" with them until way past the kids bedtime (because when you have kids, everything feels a bit like "partying"), and on our drive home I thought back to those days before the kids.  Our friends lived closer, not the half-hour away they live now, and we often got together on weekend nights to play board games together until the wee hours of the morning.  Even after their first was born, we'd still hang out until well past midnight and have loads of fun together.  While the locations have changed and the guest list has grown, we still have a blast together, and our kids get along well enough for them to scamper off and leave us to chat a bit, a real treat for the grownups.

Hopefully we'll see them again sooner rather than later.  Until then, I'll enjoy the new memories we've made and the old ones that still linger like the dear friends that share them.

Have a wonderful night!

No comments: