Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Year of Gratitude: Day 162 (two days late again)

Today I am grateful I didn't snap during lunchtime with the kids.  Actually, it was Mollie that was pushing me closer and closer to the edge; she and I have been locked in a daily mealtime struggle over how quickly she consumes her food (and how much talking and wandering around is interspersed during that time).  I want to be all "zen" about it and not care how much time she's taking, but we don't live in a vacuum and the day must progress.

Anyhow, back to the gratefulness.

So Mollie and I were downstairs, her alternately eating and getting down to hug me (she knows I can't say no to a good hug) and me continually saying, "Mollie, eat your lunch.  Mollie, take a bite.", and Baylor was upstairs, Bryson having put him down to rest ten or so minutes before.  All of a sudden, and just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, I heard over the monitor, "Uh oh, Mommy!  Uh oh!" and the sound of feet running out into the hallway upstairs.

I'll spare you the details and simply say that Baylor loves to read so much that he has been known to ignore things, even bodily functions.  Thankfully, the mess was very, very minimal.  I quickly ran downstairs to implore Mollie to eat and grab another pair of underwear for Baylor.

Then I went to help him wipe and all the wet wipes were gone, necessitating another trip downstairs.  At this point, Mollie had "finished" and made her way upstairs to check out what her big brother was doing.  It's amazing how much more ... just more, things get when both kids are in that tiny bathroom and I was feeling all the chaos surrounding me.

And then I thought to myself, "Motherhood really shows you just how much more you can take.  Just when you feel your breaking point approaching, motherhood and life conspire and throw you something else, and you take it on and do it because ... well, because you have to."

After all the epiphany, hands were washed, kids were properly hugged and kissed, and both kids settled into their beds for their nap/rest time.

And here I am, still breathing, still chugging along.  And for that I am grateful.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments: