Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Little B's First Birthday: Part 3

After a nice nap, it was time for Little B's modestly-sized birthday party at his Oma and Grandpa E's house. As previously mentioned, he gets rather overwhelmed in large groups (especially when all the attention is on him) so we intentionally tried to limit the guest list so he wouldn't have a tearful birthday.

Over a month ago, we decided on an owl theme for the party, and my sister put some amazingly cute touches on the day, including owl invitations, an owl balloon, and these adorable (and delicious) owl cupcakes!

She also made some less-intricate, yet still undeniably yummy, cupcakes edged in sugar and topped with mini M&M's. And, of course, a special candle-topped one for the birthday boy!


At first, it was only the grandparents, Aunt Christine, and my husband and I who were there, so the little man had time to get used to being the center of attention. And he seemed to relish it, demonstrating his ability to turn on and off a light ...


... and clap!

Eventually our friends the O'Neills showed up, as did Uncle Gil, Aunt Sarah, Wyatt, and Lucia, and the fun really began! Here are three out of the four O'Neills ...

After a lovely lunch, it was time to open presents! Daddy did most of the opening, but Baylor commented at the appropriate times. "Oooh!"


Lots of people have said my son looks just like my husband, and I never really saw the strong similarity until I came upon this picture ... then I understood.


The last gift to be opened was a red wagon from Oma and Grandpa E! Wyatt and Little B decided it was a good time to take a ride, so off they went!


Uncle Gil wanted give the birthday boy a piggy back ride, and am I glad Gil isn't taller! Whew!


Once the kids got a little more play time in, we decided to bring out the cupcakes! Judging from what happened at his first birthday celebration, we encouraged the crowd to sing in a softer voice so as not to startle the birthday boy. It seemed to work well; he didn't shed a tear!


That said, he was not a fan of the cupcakes.


Dodging a second bite.



"Not okay, Mom!"



He initially balked at the ice cream, but once he got used to how cold it was he seemed to enjoy it.



I swear, he did! We just didn't get any pictures of it.



Soon after cake, someone (not naming names) encouraged me to try to get all five kids together (ranging in age from three years to three months) to take a group picture. Let me tell you, it was like herding cats! This was the best we could do.


We eventually got one with the parents holding their respective children in the grass, but it was not without tears.
After the picture, we sat Baylor down in the grass, though I don't really know why. The following is a smattering of pictures from that endeavor. (And no, he doesn't enjoy being in the grass.)


"Mom, I want to be over there."


"Will someone PLEASE get me out of the grass?"


"Oh, that's real funny. Stand me up and leave me here."


"Does anyone know where my legs went?"
(No, the grass isn't that tall - my parents always keep it nicely manicured - his legs are just that short and his shorts are just that long.)


He took a couple steps in the lawn but clearly wanted out of there. So we brought him over to check out his wagon, new love of his life.


As the party wound down, he got some chilling in with Grandpa E.


Then my mom took Little B and Lucia out to the pool to check things out. She helped both kids sit on the edge near the top step, and Lucia started kicking the water, much to Baylor's enjoyment!


The party was an absolute blast! We'd like to thank my parents and sister again (and again and again ...) for making his day so special and making it so enjoyable for everyone!
After we left their house, it was quite evident that the little man had thoroughly enjoyed his birthday.

Thanks to all for being such a warm, loving part of Baylor's first year!

No comments: