Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ever-Changing: The Grocery Cart


We had to go to the store after the kids got their hair cut the other day, and I had planned on putting Mollie in the Ergo Baby and carrying her so Baylor could sit in the cart.  But, being the growing boy he is, he had other ideas.  He begged with me, pleaded with me to not sit in the cart.  "I am too big!" he'd say.  And he was right; the seat is only weight-rated for a 35 pound child, a weight he passed long ago.  (He's now about 40 pounds ... amazing!)

It would be easier to let him walk and let Mollie ride in the cart, I thought.  No one to carry.  And Baylor can handle it, handle the responsibility of being free but not free.  Right?

Wrong.  So very wrong.

Yes, he weighs 40 pounds but he's still only two-and-a-half.  He still wants to touch EVERYTHING.  The world is his oyster, and he just wants to explore.  And were there two adults at the store, this would have worked out.  But it was just me and the kids and it didn't.  He touched glass, ran far away from me leaving me yelling through the store - I'm pretty sure everyone in there knows his name by now, flopped on the floor when I wanted him to go the opposite way he desired ... it was a fail of a trip.  By the end he had grown so uncooperative I had to carry him and push the cart and finish the shopping.  It was bad and exhausting and definitely something I cannot do again.  So, like all the things that change with kids, I'll have to figure this one out. We're either looking at having to use the behemoth two-seater carts that are impossible to steer (and apparently aren't supposed to be taken outside - excuse me, Meijer ... how on Earth am I supposed to get two kids and all my groceries out to the car without this cart?!), going back to the original baby carrier/cart plan, or not going all together.  Which sometimes just isn't an option.

With small kids, everything changes at some point.  It's up to me to roll with the punches and figure out what's best for us.

All that said, though ... does anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

Shan said...

I take the huge 2 seater cart out all the time. No one has ever given me any grief about it. Just do it. :)