Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!

A while back my mom bought the kids some patriotic flag shirts to wear this summer, and I was pretty geeked to get the kiddos dressed up all matchy-matchy for the Fourth of July!  We had a relatively low-key day planned as my husband wanted to get some work done on our kitchen and dining room (we're repainting ... more on that to come!).

We read a lot.









I even got the kids to look at me for a quick picture.  I wish they were smiling, but their faces are just priceless!



After dinner, we went out for ice cream with Oma, Grandpa E, and Aunt Christine, and my mom was able to snap an adorable picture of the kids at the ice cream shop.


Mollie was all over the place once we let her down, though she was mostly just trying to keep up with her brother.


On the way home she entertained the entire car with her antics.  She just loves her sunglasses, but she was having a bit of trouble putting them on herself.

After we got home, Baylor and Mollie wanted to go see some fireworks (well, Baylor wanted to see some and Mollie wants to be wherever Baylor is so ...) and some kids were setting some off down the street so we went to watch.  Mollie was pretty scared of all the sound and clung to me like a baby monkey, but Baylor was interested in what was going on and really only seemed afraid when they would make a loud crackling sound.

The kids got to stay up a little later than usual - mostly to see the fireworks down the street - and were tuckered out by the time they hit the hay.  Bryson and I taped a few fireworks displays on our DVR and showed them to Baylor the next morning.  The one in New York seemed especially cool to me, but Baylor was largely unimpressed.

Someday we'll take the kiddos to see real big fireworks and do the whole Fourth of July thing up right.  Until then, it'll just be something to look forward to while we enjoy our low-key holiday.

Hope your Fourth was spectacular!

No comments: