Friday, November 23, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day Fifteen (a day late)

I was thinking yesterday, on Thanksgiving, about how last year on Thanksgiving my ears started ringing and I had my first dizzy spell.  That was the beginning of all the Meniere's-variant stuff and the beginning of a lot of change in my life.  On that day I thought the ringing would be temporary, a mere side-effect of the cold I had at the time.  Today I still hear the ringing every moment; once I realized it was permanent I stopped noticing it as much, but if I so much as think about it I notice just how persistent it is.  The dizzy spells are still there, particularly if I eat too much sodium.  And I have developed a bit more intense motion sickness than I have had in the past.

With all that said, today I am grateful for my Meniere's variant disease.  It has forced me to take a good look at how I eat and what it does to my body.  I have become accustomed to the low sodium diet I've been on and have found ways to still enjoy the things I love.  I have had to work hard to find new recipes or alter my old favorites, and while it has not been an easy task I am glad that I'm learning to take better care of myself.  Without the change one year ago this holiday, I wouldn't be eating as healthfully as I am now, probably wouldn't be taking care of myself like I am now.

Some things can seem like a curse at the outset, but I think it's important to look at the bright side as much as possible, particularly when it is something you can't change.  This Meniere's variant is apparently here to stay, so it's up to me to take care of myself the best I can to keep the symptoms at bay and stay active and healthy for my kiddos.  And for all this I am grateful.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

No comments: