Friday, November 9, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day Two

I realized soon after writing yesterday's post that it was probably odd (and somewhat polarizing) to write about the election right off the bat.  While I try not to regret things I've written on here, I'm disappointed I didn't think things through and write that post a little later; it's all true, but putting it first was a bit odd and it probably placed a bit more importance on that particular "grat" than it deserved.  So having said that ...

Today I am thankful for my children.  I have two amazing, hilarious, delightful children who make life new again every day.  From day one, Baylor was always the happy, calm child; he rarely got upset as an infant and young toddler, and he was happy so much of the time.  So when we got pregnant with Amalia, I envisioned that we would just have a second Baylor, another chill kiddo.  Of course, no two children are alike and our dramatic, lovable Amalia made a splash right from the get-go.  At first, I'll admit, I was shaken; I didn't know how to deal with all the emotion, with all the highs and lows she threw my way.  Baylor and I were, and still are, so much alike that it was easy to understand his ways; Mollie was a bit of a mystery to me at first.  But as she's grown up, and as she's begun to express herself, I so appreciate what she brings to our family; all the joy and silliness and drama that makes life a little more interesting.

And I am incredibly lucky that my two children, so different in demeanor, get along exceedingly well.  They actually love each other and express it on a regular basis without prompting.  They make each other laugh and play well with each other, most of the time anyways.  And they bring out the best in each other; Mollie helps Baylor relax and teaches him what to expect from other kids, and Baylor teaches Mollie about numbers and letters and helps temper her energy and drama ... some of the time.  I'm so glad to see them becoming friends, and I couldn't be prouder of them in every way.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments: