Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day One

So, I meant to start this yesterday, on my 31st birthday, but life being what it is I didn't; by the end of the day I was so exhausted I didn't feel like moving much, and even dragging my fingers across a keyboard seemed like too much.  Instead I'll start it today, November 8th, and it'll be a good thing, right?

But I'm getting ahead of myself here.  You have no idea what I'm talking about.

I've seen a lot of "gratitude" posts on facebook lately and they have been quite inspiring.  Sometimes they're "big" things people are grateful for, like family and friends and jobs and whatnot, and sometimes they're "small", like the morning latte that gets your day off to the right start or a favorite couch to plop down on at the end of it.  In my own life I've noticed that I'm getting bogged down by the little things, a dishwasher that makes everything on the top rack dirtier, a never-ending pile of laundry, etc.  And one night about a week or two ago as I was unloading the aforementioned dishwasher and grumbling to myself, I thought to myself, "Nicole, this is ridiculous.  You have a wonderful life; amazing children, a loving husband, a warm home, supportive family and friends, and relatively great health.  What on earth is your problem?!"

At that moment I decided that I needed a shift in perspective; a heart holding so much negativity in it will harden with time, and I don't want that for myself.  I want to keep my heart warm and pliable, ready to give and receive love and happiness wherever possible, wherever needed.  So instead of a 30-day or 45-day gratitude list, I'm going to try for a 365-day gratitude shift because that's what I need ... a shift.  And I'm worried that 30 or 45 days just won't cut it.  I'm hoping to post every day (yikes!) and I'm hoping to avoid repeats for as long as possible;  I must have 365 things/people in my life to be grateful for, right?!  It will be in no particular order, with no agenda.  There will be "big" grats and "small" grats (Can we just call them "grats"?  Things-I'm-grateful-for is quite long to type out ... just think about it.  If you have a better word, let me know in the comments!) mixed throughout.  Some days the posts will be short - even just a word if it's all I need or all I can muster, and some days the posts will be long, maybe even with a picture.  And I'd love for anyone who is interested to join in with me in the comments or on your own blog.

So here it goes ... day one!

Today I am grateful for the election being over with.  It always happens right around my birthday and as I'm not a fan of politics in general, I really appreciate it when the whole shebang is over with for my "big" day.  I am glad Barack Obama has been reelected, but I'm also just plain relieved that it wasn't so close that a recount was needed a la 2000 Gore/Bush election.  I'm now just hopeful that the country, congress and the president included, as a whole to fix what's broken, right what's wrong, and lift up this country and the people in it.  

Have a wonderful day!

No comments: