Friday, November 30, 2012

A Year of Gratitude: Day 23 (a.k.a. The Three Mikes)

Tonight I am so very grateful that we have gotten three quotes for our windows and appear to be done with the information collection portion of this decision-making process.

It was an interesting experience getting the three quotes.  The first one came to us by way of a door-to-door surveyor of sorts who got us an appointment with Mike 1.  Not knowing much, we liked the product he showed us and we signed with him that day.  (I will say, though, that Bryson looked positively ill after we gave him the first half of the payment.  I kind of knew then that this process wasn't really over.)  A day or so later he called back saying there was an issue with some of the windows he was going to order for us and could he come over to talk over the options.  Long story short, we cancelled our order with him so we could get some other quotes for comparison.

Enter Mike 2.  After Bryson got in contact with a few companies, I was able to schedule a second estimate visit with a local company (who also, incidentally, sells windows made here in Michigan).  Unlike the first (and second) visit with Mike 1, my visit with Mike 2 was only an hour long and didn't involve complicated sales tactics or demonstrations - a real plus in my book.

Still feeling the need for another quote, Bryson said he wanted to check out another company we see advertised often in our area, so I called them today and made an appointment for tonight.  They told me the quote should only take about an hour to an hour-and-a-half, so I felt comfortable making it for 5:00.  Luckily they called back a little while later and rescheduled to 6:00 because the guy, Mike 3 (I kid you not, all three guys were named Mike!  It was beyond wild.  I thought Bryson was playing a trick on me when the third Mike introduced himself, so much so that I almost burst out laughing when he said his name was Mike.) took about three hours and forty-five minutes!  It was long and rather painful, and in there I had to put the kids to bed and do dishes.  Aaaaannndd then Mike 3 got shot down and left empty-handed.

So, to recap ...

I am grateful that this process looks like it might be over with.

I am grateful that the three Mikes gave us their time to help us make this decision, no matter the outcome for themselves.

And I am grateful that Bryson is able to be so forthcoming and honest with people, particularly about products and services we might be buying.

No comments: