Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

Upon discovering that my son adores banana-flavored cookies, my mom and sister took up the task of finding a good banana cookie recipe for him. The first one they found and tried was an absolute hit with adults and Baylor alike, so I thought I'd share it with you! Baylor asks for a "bana tut-tee" almost every day!

The original recipe was found on allrecipes.com, but I'm going to post it on here with the tweaks my sister made to it instead of just putting them as notes; I like what she did, and I think you will, too!

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas
1 3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional - she left these out since they were primarily for my son)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

3. Cream together the shortening and sugar; beat very well until light and fluffy. Add egg, banana, oatmeal, and nuts (if applicable). Mix well.

4. Add dry ingredients, mix well and drop by leveled cookie scoop on an ungreased cookie sheet.

5. Bake at 375 for fifteen minutes or until edges turn lightly brown. Cool on wire rack. Store in a closed container.

By leveling off the cookie scoop, you end up with nice little cookies for little hands. These cookies store well in the freezer and are incredibly moist both fresh and thawed-from-frozen.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hey sis,

I forgot to tell you one other change I made to the cookie recipe. Even though the oatmeal I used was quick-cooking, it still seemed a little too coarse to me. So before I mixed it into the dough, I very briefly ground it in a food processor, just so the cookies were smoother and easier for him to eat. Obviously not a vital step, but a good idea especially if they're meant for littler kids!