Friday, December 21, 2012

That's What They Said: Clarification

Baylor:  I had a bad dream last night.
Me:  Awww, what was it about, buddy?
Baylor:  A monster bit my finger.  (holds up index finger)  This one.
Me:  Did he apologize?
(Baylor looks at me quizzically like he doesn't understand ... when I know he totally does.)
Bryson:  You know?  Did he say, "I'm sorry"?
Baylor:  No, he was stubborn.


Amalia:  I am all done with my quesadilla.  I want a piece of my candy.
Me:  (trying to play dumb)  What candy, sweetheart?
Amalia:  You know?  The candy we bought yesterday ... in the dark.  (said on Dec. 11th)
Baylor:  You mean your Halloween candy?
Amalia:  Yeah!


Me:  Baylor, if you get up in your seat you can see what I made Mrs. Sims, Mrs. Fillman, and Marcia for Christmas!
Baylor: (running over to see what they were)  I want to see!
Me:  (grabbing him) Not so fast, mister!
Baylor:  (looking at them after being plopped in his seat)  Ooh, they are cool!  (pauses for a minute and reads each one)  Where is the one that says, "Not so fast, mister"?


(Bryson started singing "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music last night at the dinner table.)
Bryson:  Baylor, do you remember loving the Sound of Music when you were little?
Baylor:  (shrugs and mumbles a bit)
Me:  Oh my goodness, you used to love it!
Bryson:  Do you remember any of the other songs?
Baylor:  Number 21 was my favorite.
Bryson:  Which song was that?  Was it, "I am sixteen going on seventeen ..."?  (hums a little bit as those are the only words he knows)
Baylor:  (shaking his head)  No, that was number six.
(Bryson and I both stopped and looked at him.)
Me:  Yeah, buddy?  I think you're right.
(I had to check it out, so I ran downstairs and grabbed the case ... he was right.  He was also right that 21 used to be a favorite of his; he loved "Edelweiss (reprise)" because it was a nice song and all the people sang together.  He really likes hearing large groups of people singing together and typically will smile and remark, "All the friends are singing!"  All of this was completely shocking because I don't think he's heard that CD in over a year; it was his favorite back when he was two ... TWO.  It's amazing.)

No comments: