Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Year of Gratitude: Day 193

As we were getting ready to leave for an evening out at the lake, I pointed to a bracelet Mollie had on her wrist and commented on how nice it looked.  She said, "Am I a mommy?"  I smiled in response, knowing she wondered that because I often have a hair tie about the same width around my wrist, always at the ready in case I need to toss my hair away from my face, and she likely thought that was a symbol of 'mommy'.  I said, "Well, if you want to be a mommy you need to have a baby.  Do you want to go grab one?"  And at that she took off, galloping through the kitchen to retrieve one of her baby dolls from the living room.

Today I'm grateful that my daughter, my beautiful girl, sees value in being a mommy.  Whether she grows up to be one or not, she sees value in what I do, value in being there for someone else, and value in caring for one's family.  In a job without real pay, without progress reports or performance reviews, it felt good to have a little validation.

Have a wonderful night!

No comments: