Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Gift of Birdseed

My mom came by this weekend as we were all slugging through our colds to drop over a little gift. She had been at the outdoor bird store (Wild Birds Unlimited, for those of you in GR) and picked us up a small bag of bird seed.

For those of you who don't know, I am an old lady at heart; I love watching birds! It is one of the most relaxing things you can do, in my opinion. And I come by it honestly; my family is full of bird-loving people (Hi, Grandpa!).

So after having finally filled the bird feeder the other day, the birds were back at our window this morning ... as well as a couple of these guys.



I don't mind squirrels, though. I think they are cute and are generally welcome to eat at our feeder.

Baylor woke up this morning, and I was so excited that there were a couple of squirrels in the feeders when we came downstairs. He got a total kick out of them and even did a little clap!

After breakfast, we made our way back to the living room only to find birds at the feeders! Oh goodness, you would not believe how happy that made the little man. We situated his couch so he could read and watch the birds at the same time, and he was happy as a clam. I'd alert him to any new birds in the vicinity, and he would "Ooh!" with delight. At one point, there were so many birds at the feeder and on the once-beautiful flowers just outside the window that he stood up and held my hand, gently tapping at the window for me to look at them for almost a full five minutes! Hands down, best part of my day.

The frenzy of action at our feeders means I'll probably have to refill them soon, but I don't mind. It's well worth it to see my son experiencing nature (without having to take his stuffy little nose out into the cold) and get truly excited in the process. He's such an amazing kiddo!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How beautiful. I think I am also an old lady :)