Friday, October 30, 2009

My Son Has a Doll

A baby doll, to be exact. His name is Colin; my mom named him after Colin Firth, who she has a total crush on. (She bought him for Baylor, so I figured she should have the naming rights since he can't do that yet.)

He has red hair, just like my husband, and is a Corolle doll very similar to one I had when I was a little girl. Lately he has started to randomly pick up Colin and hug him ... and I love it!


But there was a lot of controversy when Mom first brought up the idea of getting him a doll - and even more controversy when she did it without my husband or dad's "permission".
They contended that dolls were for girls, and that he would be just fine with stuffed animals, thank you very much. She wanted him to grow up to be a "nurturing little boy"; so she went ahead and bought Colin.
I really didn't care one way or another, but it certainly is nice to see him care for the doll. Especially nice now because we have a sibling on the way for him and I hope that he'll love and care for the baby just like he does Colin. Well, not JUST like he does Colin, since a hugging session usually ends with Baylor tossing Colin aside or walking around holding him by the ankle. But you get the idea.
My mother-in-law asked why the guys were making such a big deal out of it and pointed out that her brothers had G.I. Joes (Barbie-sized) when they were kids. I told her, "If Colin had a gun or a kung-fu grip then they'd be okay with him. He's a doll, not an action figure. Guys are okay with action figures, but dolls are supposed to be for girls." She laughed, and I still stand by my statement.
What do you guys think? Do your sons have baby dolls? Do your girls play with action figures?

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

My sister-in-law bought her son a doll when they were expecting their second child. The hope was that he would learn now to treat a child. Matt would grab the doll by the ankles and beat it's head on the floor, but to my knowledge he never did that to his baby brother. Then again my sister only ever had one doll, her favorite stuffed animal was a my pet monster. So I guess what I am saying is that I don't believe in "boy toys" and "girl toys."