Sunday, October 11, 2009

Under the Weather

Yup, we're under the weather here at the Jacques household. All three of us are sick with colds, and as mild as they may be they make everything a little bit more difficult. It's only Little B's second cold, and I feel like my husband and I do not know best how to make him feel better. We rub Baby Vicks on his chest at night and before all his naps - which he usually loves, though tonight some got on his eyelid and I don't think he found that to be very soothing. We give him Infant Tylenol at night to ease any pain he might have (he started holding his ear today so we are aware that an ear infection could be in the works). And I make sure he gets as much water as his little body can handle. But other than that, what can you do?

I know there is the nasal aspirator, but that makes him scream to the heavens and amid all the thrashing I really don't want to injure him. So until they make those things less intrusive, or he starts liking it more, I just can't bear to do it.

I was planning on turning his humidifier on tonight, but I forgot to do it. I'll have to write it on a list for tomorrow or my pregnancy brain will never remember.

So that's where we are ... just trying to make it through the days and nights and keep a smile on our faces. Our colds really are mild, and I could not be more thankful for that. And it reminds me that we need to be extra vigilant about hand washing and other germ-avoiding behaviors as we move deeper into cold and flu season.

I hope this post finds all my lovely readers, both friends and family, happy and in good health! Take care of yourselves!

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Sorry hun! Hope you feel better soon!

Ashley said...

You might try infant motrin as opposed to Tylenol. My pediatrician recommends it over Tylenol for doing a better job of soothing and relieving pain and after 2 ear infections and some teething I have to agree. Also... if you can... stuff a pillow under his crib mattress up at the top to help safely elevate his head while he's sleeping. That will help any congestion continue to drain and not stay in his head or worse yet, his ears. Hope these tips help you. They've been working well for us! :-)

Nicole said...

Yeah, we might have to try the infant Motrin. Though having his humidifier going helped a lot last night.

I would do the pillow thing (have done it in the past), but he doesn't always end up with his head at the same end he started at ... which could make the draining worse if he ended up with his feet at the elevated end.

Thanks for the ideas!

And, Aubs ... thanks for the well-wishes. Today was rough, but hopefully tomorrow will be better!