Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday Dinner: Layered Mexican Bake

Tonight for dinner I made something new out of the Kraft Food and Family magazine. It is called "Layered Mexican Bake" - not the most original title, mind you, but you pretty much know what you're getting when you hear it. So here's the recipe ... I have to say, it was delicious and overall pretty easy to make. Plus, you just know how I love casseroles!

Layered Mexican Bake

Prep: 20 min. Total: 50 min. Makes 4 servings

3/4 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped (I used a large yellow onion)
1 green pepper, chopped (I used a smaller-sized one)
2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/4 cups chunky salsa (I used a mild generic brand salsa)
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen corn
3 high-fiber whole wheat tortillas (8 inch)
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
3/4 cup Kraft 2% Milk Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided (I used mild cheddar)

Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Brown meat with onions and peppers in large skillet on medium-high heat. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 min. Add salsa and corn; mix well. Simmer 5 min.

Spread 1 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 8- or 9-inch square baking dish; top with layers of 1 tortilla, 1/2 cup meat sauce, sour cream and 1/4 cup cheese. Cover with 1 tortilla, 1 cup of remaining meat sauce and 1/4 cup of remaining cheese; top with remaining tortilla and meat sauce. Cover with foil.

Bake 25 min. or until casserole is heated through. Top with remaining cheese (I just made sure it was good and covered - no measuring required); bake, uncovered, 5 min. or until melted.

They say to garnish it with chopped cilantro and green onions just before serving, but I didn't feel like getting green onions and my husband doesn't like cilantro.

Here's what it looked like:




My husband helped himself to seconds and thirds he liked it so much. And it looks like they were about right calling this about 4 servings; you just never know with some recipes.
I highly recommend it!

No comments: