Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Which Side of the Cones?

So, on our way to an appointment today, Little B and I came upon road construction at the end of our street. Having no clue what was going on, I scanned the area for clues. All I could tell was that there were skinny orange cones down the center of the road and a guy was standing in my way directing traffic. As I approached, he put his hand up to stop me, looked to his left, then to his right, nodded, and waved me through. His hand signals were vague and confusing, and I drove past him like I thought I should.

"Hm," I thought, "this doesn't seem right. Why am I so close to the edge of the road they are working on? Hm ..."

Then I looked up to see the cones crossing the lane I was in, meeting up with the side of the road. I looked to my left, and I saw a construction worker guy holding a sign that said "slow" on one side and "stop" on the other. Crap, I was in the wrong lane!

The cones were too close together to squeeze my minivan through (though I bet Lola could have made it easily), and I had a decision to make: drive over the hill and leaves to my right or stop, check behind me, and throw it into reverse.

I chose the former.

To give you an idea of what I was working with, here is a picture I took when I was on my way home. See the cones crossing the road?

Yeah, I did a little off-roading today right next to that last orange cone.


As Wanda tilted to a 60 degree angle, I looked at the construction worker. He was smirking at me, and I was so pissed I nearly gave him the finger. I held in a succession of swear words and continued on. Within a minute, I was laughing so hard Baylor decided to join in; I can only imagine how silly I must have looked driving up on the berm like that!
My little snafu was a welcome reminder not to take life so seriously and to laugh at myself every now and again. If we can't find funny in our harmless mistakes, what else have we got?

No comments: