Wednesday, November 18, 2009

One Year Blogging: Simple & Creamy Tortellini Alfredo recipe

In honor of my first full year of blogging, I thought I'd try to write a few extra posts today and share with you some of the things I've recently decided I love. Here's a meal we had the other night that was surprisingly wonderful. I forgot to take a picture, but if you guys really want to see it I'll either try to take one the next time I make it or take one of the leftovers sitting in our fridge.

Simple & Creamy Tortellini Alfredo

Prep: 5 min. Total: 30 min.

1 can (14.5 oz) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
2 pkg. (9 oz each) refrigerated cheese tortellini*
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed
1 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup Kraft Finely Shredded Italian Five Cheese Blend
6 slices Oscar Mayer Bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled

Pour broth and water into large sauce pan; stir. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Add tortellini. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Simmer 8 to 9 min. or until tortellini is tender. (Do not drain.)

Add cream cheese and peas; stir. Heat 2 or 3 min. or until cream cheese is completely melted, stirring occasionally.

Stir in shredded cheese and bacon.

Makes 6 servings, 1 cup each.

* I used frozen tortellini and cooked it ahead of time for half the amount of time it called for, cooking it the rest of the way as if it were the refrigerated tortellini the recipe calls for.

Now, one thing about this recipe is that the sauce is a smidge on the runny side. I didn't mind it so much, but my husband thought it could be thicker. Next time I might take his suggestion and leave out the cup of water and see what happens. Or I could add more cream cheese. I also think I might sprinkle in the cheese more slowly (instead of dumping it all in at once) as there tended to be clumps of cheese here and there.

Also, I don't personally like bacon so I left it out of my portion. The bacon, however, was how I got my husband to eat this as he generally hates peas and dislikes tortellini most of the time. He still liked it and thought I should make it again.

This is a really good and kind of unusual dish. I highly recommend it!

Oh, and I got it from the Kraft Food and Family Magazine, but I couldn't find it on their site so I don't quite know what is up with that. Anyhow, enjoy!

1 comment:

Doug said...

Sounds worth a try to me. You and Michelle have a lot in common, so we might make it without the bacon for her and add the bacon for me. Thanks for the recipe!