Thursday, November 12, 2009

Snot Everywhere (He's Sick ... It's Graphic ... Read This at Your Discretion)

Yesterday, Little B woke up at about 10:45 a.m. I should have known something was up when he started to stir today at 7:30 a.m. We had a meeting to go to at 10 that I was anxious for, so I willed him back to sleep so that he'd maybe make it through the meeting.

At 9:00, I crept into his room to wake him up and get him ready for our event. Though he was snug and soundly sleeping, we had places to go and people to see. I quickly realized, however, that something was amiss; his breathing sounded a little funny, and he sniffled as he raised his head.


Yup, my little man was in the trenches of a cold.


Since our meeting was with a bunch of moms and other kids, we decided it best to stay home; no one wants to share a whole face-full of green snot. And let me tell you, that snot was everywhere. Baylor suddenly has developed a penchant for taking his hand and rubbing his nose, then smearing the drips all over his face. My favorite, though, was when he found his nostril, stuck his finger up it, then ... gulp ... put it in his mouth! Ugh, so gross! I so don't want him to be THAT kid.
Anyhow, we played the morning away, and he was surprisingly happy and actually quite patient when I had to wipe his nose (as long as I used Puffs with Lotion). And I had to wipe it a LOT. It's amazing how much stuff can come out of an adorable little nose when you just let it drip away.
Eventually, it was time for his nap, so we got him some mandarin oranges (his favorite - luckily they are packed with vitamin C). Even sitting in his high chair, he was his usual silly, happy self. Don't believe me? Just look into those blueberry eyes and tell me otherwise.



So yeah, he's sick. But he's not letting it get him down, which I truly admire about him. I can tell, just by listening to the monitor, though, that sleeping - naps or at night - is going to be a struggle unless we can get that congestion under control. Any advice?

Remember to smile!

No comments: