Monday, November 23, 2009

Sick and Twisted: Ultrasound Prep

Our ultrasound is this morning at 7:15 a.m. - to ensure that my husband could be there - and I have decided that this particular combination of drinking and earliness is sick and twisted. Seriously.

An hour before the ultrasound (6:15, for those of you with lagging math skills - sorry, I'm cranky) I have to have completely consumed this:


The beverages were my choice; it just had to total 16 to 24 ounces of liquid. I don't actually have to eat the Cheerios, but to drink all that liquid THIS early in the morning I have to throw something else down there otherwise it's just going to slosh around. (And yes, I do realize that our coffee making could really use a good cleaning.)
Oh, and I'll let you in on a little secret; the night before big events where I have to be up early, I tend to sleep REALLY poorly. I would say I woke up, on average, at least once an hour, each time honestly shocked that it wasn't time to get up yet.
At 6:07, all the water is gone, and my stomach is feeling a little sour.
At 6:10, most of my cereal is gone, and I have started on the OJ. There is a fruit fly buzzing around me; those things are impossible to catch.
At 6:11, Paco gave me a little kick, and it made me smile and remember who I'm doing this for.
6:12 - Cheerios are gone, most of the juice is left. Time to chug. *sigh*
At 6:14, all of the juice is gone and I now realize my body hates me ... I am still thirsty! I would drink more, but I did that last time and the ultrasound was torture because of it. I should have had 16 ounces of OJ.
Well, now I have time to kill, so I'm going to go shower. And find a blank CD so I can upload pictures of Paco on here for all y'all! (Sorry, the morning is already catching up with me.)
P.S. I know this isn't the worst procedure prep ever; there are many (colonoscopy, CT scan w/barium, etc.) that are much worse. I'm just feeling a little dramatic this morning ... if you're feeling combative just ignore me, please.

2 comments:

Shan said...

Is Joy doing your u/s? She will let you go to the bathroom as soon as she has the first part of the u/s done. At least you won't be miserable through the whole thing!!
Are you finding out gender?! Or are you going to be surprised again?

Nicole said...

Joy did the ultrasound ... but when I laid down I didn't have to pee so badly. So I waited until the end.

We didn't find out the gender again ... it's pretty much the only surprise we get (no rush to the hospital or anything) so we kept it a surprise. :o)