Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Year of Gratitude: Day 118

Today I am grateful that I have the skills to put a toilet paper holder back on the wall, fix a popped seam in my shirt, and cook dinner.  I take pride in knowing how to do things, in being self-sufficient, and I am grateful for all the skills, both big and small, I have learned over the years.  I'm glad I know where to find our tools and know how to use most, if not all, of them.  I'm so happy that I don't have to retire my only turtleneck because I snapped the thread at the shoulder seam this morning trying to get it over my turbaned head; a few stitches with a needle and thread and it's back in business.

For all these things and so much more - using the snow blower and the lawn mower, changing the furnace filter, replacing burnt-out fluorescent light bulbs, and so on - I am grateful.  And I'm grateful to those people in my life who have taken the time to show me how to do things.  To my dad, grandpa, and Bryson, for their knowledge of tools, repairs, and creations.  To my mom and grandma for their sewing prowess, and for theirs and my sister's incredible baking skills.  I'm not great at everything, to be sure, but I have enough skills and know-how to solve many problems in a pinch and I'm thankful for that.

Have a wonderful day!

(With all that said, don't ask me to grill anything; I have never bothered to learn how, nor do I have an interest in learning.  This alone is enough to make me be thrilled that I can use a George Foreman.)

No comments: