Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cape Cod: A Gay Old Time in Provincetown

The title of this post is not meant to offend or degrade ... we did have a wonderful, happy time in Provincetown on Monday. That said, the town is a hot spot for the homosexual crowd ... a place where they can feel comfortable being themselves, safe from judgemental glares and discrimination. It was so fascinating being in a place so different from my hometown, and I felt so happy that the gay men and women we saw have a place where they can just be. Wonderful.

We started off the day eating at a lovely little restaurant called Bubala's by the Bay. The food was great, the help and clientele were flamboyant, and it was a great first taste of the town. Oh, and I had a fantastic chicken fajita!

The restaurant ... such a happy shade of yellow!

Family photo ... too bad the little man isn't looking at the camera or it would have been PERFECT! Oh well, such is life.

Good question!

After lunch, we walked around town, did some shopping, and took in the sights. And there was A LOT to see!

There were interesting things to see everywhere we went. We saw this sculpture at the beach.

This was the view down Commercial Street, a main thoroughfare in Provincetown. The area has a rich Portuguese heritage, noted in the flags flown around the town.

The little man was in great spirits all day long, shrieking with delight as we wheeled him around town. I don't know how I got so fortunate to have such an adorable, good-natured child, but I thank my lucky stars every day.

The ladies ... my mom, my sister, and I.

We didn't eat here, but this is a popular eatery in P-town. The facade reeked of old-school New England so I had to capture it.

Like I said, there were interesting things to see all over the place. We didn't go into this store (not sure if I could have gotten anyone to venture in with me), but it certainly had an interesting aroma. And there were lots of goodies, shall we say, hanging from the ceiling. Awesome!

The view into the harbor ... I loved how it was just a whole mess of ships everywhere you looked. The fishing industry is clearly alive and well in this area of the country.


All in all, we had a lovely time in Provincetown. Some of us enjoyed it more than others, but it was an experience I don't think any of us will forget!

No comments: