Friday, June 19, 2009

Cape Cod: There Once Was a Man From Nantucket ...

On Wednesday, we took a trip to Nantucket, by way of Hyannis. We had the best weather of the trip that day, and it made for a wonderful day!


The crib my son has been sleeping in is a bit noisy, creaking and groaning when he moves, so he has been waking up a bit earlier than usual. My husband plucked him out of the crib that morning and brought him into our bed to see if he could get the little guy to sleep a little more ... and he did!



We took a "high speed" (40 mph) boat ride to Nantucket from Hyannis, and thankfully it only took about an hour to get there.
Yes, I am nursing my son in this picture. His legs were going wild, trying to suss out what was going on at his feet. He is getting quite big ... I think we'll only nurse to a year, otherwise it'll look like I'm practically breastfeeding a kindergartner!

A diaper change on the table in the boat ... he thought it was grand fun!


Once we got to Nantucket, we bought tickets for a walking tour scheduled for a little later in the day, then we got some lunch and saw the sights before the tour began.
On the advice of another tourist we ran into, we got sandwiches and Cape Cod Chips from Provisions, a lovely little restaurant near the water. The food was fantastic (I got another Pilgrim sandwich) and the scenery was entertaining.

Before the tour, we took a walk on Easy Street!

But let me tell you, walking - especially with a stroller - was not easy in Nantucket; the sidewalks are brick and are incredibly buckled and rolling. My poor little man got quite the ride as we did our sight-seeing.

The streets aren't any better; completely cobblestoned, they are quite lovely but a pain to push a stroller across. That said, most everything in the town was historically accurate, so it's no surprise that the town isn't exactly stroller-friendly.

My son did such a good job that day! At one point, he even took a little nap in his stroller! I am such a lucky Mommy!

Murray's Toggery Shop has been a Nantucket staple for decades and is the original seller of Nantucket Reds clothing. Don't you just love the word "toggery"?

The view into the harbor was beautiful ... just how I pictured New England to be!

The library on Nantucket is called the Atheneum and is apparently the social hub of the town. They hold all sorts of special events and during the winter they have a book club for the entire island, everyone reads the same book and can talk about it with one another. How cool is that?!

The Three Bricks are a group of three houses, built by Mr. Starbuck for three of his sons so they wouldn't go off on whaling ships. We saw this and more on our historical walking tour of the town.

This was the ferry ship we took to and from the island. It was a surprisingly comfy ride, particularly for a ferry.

After we got back on the mainland, we went to dinner at Colombo's in Hyannis. The food was fantastic ... my mom and sister in particular raved about the pizzas they ordered. I think we would all highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area.



I had lasagna; it was delicious, huge, beautifully-garnished with a sprig of rosemary, and I ate the whole thing!

My one gripe about Massachusetts is that we have found very few (actually only one) bathrooms with changing tables in them! I don't know what is going on with that, or if we just have legislation in Michigan that says restaurants and shops have to provide them, but it is really inconvenient to change your child's diaper in the back of your car.


Three doors down from Colombo's was a tattoo parlor with some interesting mannequins. All I have to say is, "Really?!"

Once we got home, my son was in desperate need of some play time, so even though it was a little late he got to crawl around and explore for a little while before we all went to bed. A great day in New England!
Playing peek-a-boo with Oma ... ah, the good life!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Ok I just have to tell you how incredibly jealous I am of you and your family!!! That little place you got your sandwich at in Nantucket I have dreams about ever since I had one! Someday I WILL get back there to have the best darn turkey sandwich I have ever had before again. Enjoy yourselves!!! Looks like so much fun!