Thursday, June 25, 2009

Feeling a Little Cheated

I found out today that the hospital my OB/GYN works at no longer does VBACs because of the liability involved. So I have two choices now, either a) have a scheduled c-section at the end of my next pregnancy (no, I am not pregnant right now) or b) get a new doctor that works at the hospital in town that still does VBACs.

I love my OB. She's an awesome lady, and she appreciates that this is a crappy choice. I started going to her in the middle of my pregnancy with the little man because I wasn't happy with the one I saw previously. So I searched, asked friends, and finally settled on her, by far one of the best choices I have made in recent times. She's smart, effervescent, factual, and very relatable. Plus, she's an MSU grad, so you really can't go wrong! I don't want to leave her office, but ...

I wanted to try a VBAC so badly. I hadn't expected on having a c-section the first time around; it was sprung on me the day before my due date when we realized how big the baby was (estimated 9 lbs. 12. oz. - actual 10 lbs. 10 oz.) and would have ended up being a c-section anyways as the umbilical cord was over the top of his head and would have slipped out when my water broke, choking him in the process. The whole idea of a c-section was foreign to me; we had taken the birthing classes, practiced the breathing, and I wasn't even nervous about the pain that surely awaited me. They only covered c-sections in class for a whopping total of about 15 minutes, and truth be told I didn't pay as good of attention as I should have because I thought, "That'll never be me."

While it was a little bit of agony waiting for something, anything, to happen, it was exciting as well; I was ready, any moment, to spring into action. To shout out those magical words: This is it! Then, after the c-section was scheduled for the day after my due date, I had to hope that nothing happened. And I had to accept the fact that my hospital visit would be very different than I had anticipated; there would be no bonding with my husband over contractions, no shouting at him (he really wanted me to yell, "You did this to me!" as I was contracting away - he thought it would be funny, and in truth I agreed), no walking around to help the baby out, no music playing from the playlist my husband concocted for me, no ice chips, and, worst of all, no holding my baby the moment he came out.

Instead, I was given a hospital gown and a spinal block (that took probably about 20 tries to get in properly - my "labor" wasn't entirely without pain), and laid down for the whole shebang. Drape up, they made the incision and scooped my little bubba out of me. My husband left my side, as I hoped he would, to be with our son, and I was left lying there, being stitched back together with the words "It's a boy!" ringing in my head. Don't get me wrong, the moment was magical and something I'll never forget if I can help it; it just wasn't what I was expecting.

So, given what I know now about how I handle pregnancy, what kind of children I tend to bear (LARGE ones), and what I can do to make the next go around better, I was hoping to try for a VBAC. We're only having two kids (unless my mother's wishes are granted and we end up with twins on the second pregnancy) so this is kinda my last chance to try something a little more natural. To do it the way I had envisioned.

But now it's not looking like that's going to happen. What should I do? Should I just have another c-section? Should I find another doctor at the other hospital (and chance that I might have to have another c-section anyways)? Should I do what this couple is doing and have a home birth with a midwife?

Soooo ... I talked to my husband about it. If it were entirely up to him, I'd be having another c-section; he cringed when I mentioned the word "rupture". But he said he'd support whatever decision I made ... good man. We'll see.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

As a woman who had 3 c-sections, I of course would say go for the c-section. Of course, I had ZERO desire to ever have a natural childbirth experience. Secretly I was kind of glad that my oldest was breech and they were pushing a c-section. Of course, being the woman I am, I went for the external version (which was successful) and then labored for 24 painful, stressful hours before going in for a c-section. I NEVER wanted to labor again...let alone try and push.

I realize this is me...and there are a lot of people who have a desire to experience a "normal" delivery.

Just because a hospital says they no longer allow VBACs doesn't mean you can't have one. I'd be happy to push lots of literature your way and show you sites were women who are advocates for VBACs can show you how to beat the system. The hospital cannot perform surgery on you without your consent. If you show up in labor and REFUSE the c-section, by law they have to treat you. If you really have your heart set on a VBAC and your doctor thinks you're a good canidate, then don't give up hope.

C-sections have lots of risks and suck to recover from. My first and second recoveries were a breeze. My third sucked and had it been the first I would only have one child.

Mama to Monkeys said...

Wow, Autumn, I have to say for a woman who loved her c/s' you offer an amazingly balanced view on the reality of what repeat cesareans can be like and what a woman's rights are.

Thank you for your honesty.