Saturday, July 11, 2009

(Please Don't) Bite Me!

My son is still trying to break those seventh and eighth teeth through, and he's doing it by any means necessary. His crib now has teeth marks on it where he has worn away the stain (and some of the wood), he'll pull off the bumpers on the fireplace and chew on those, and - sadly - he's taken to biting people. The other day he bit me probably about five times (three times on the shoulder, once on the leg, and once on the back) and the days since have been about the same. I believe he thinks he is just biting a shirt, but he is actually getting quite a bit of skin with it. And it hurts ... very, very bad.

I have tried telling him, "No." in my most stern voice, but he smiles at me like it's funny. I've tried telling him not to bite even when he's not biting (usually in our recap of the day), but I know he's only ten months old so he probably doesn't understand me. Now when he crawls over to me, I wonder if he is just coming to bite me and it's making me jumpy ... which, in turn, makes me feel horrible - he's MY son after all.

Does anyone have any advice? I want to nip this in the bud before he starts biting other people who will be less understanding (or more easily injured) than me.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Well since I don't have kids I'm probably not the best person to give advice BUT my nephew went through this stage and a slap on the butt seemed to work with him. It more scared him than even hurt him but after getting that right after biting his mom one or two times, he smartened up..

Aubrey said...

I know with older kids one way to teach them not to bite is when they do it you semi slap their mouth so they put the 2 together "bite with mouth; mouth hurts" I'm not sure if you'd be able to do that but it is one way of thinking. Good luck.