Sunday, March 14, 2010

Messing With Time

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Usually I have no idea why I'm a smidge on the cranky side; it just happens and it fades away as I move through my day. Not today, though. No, no, today I know precisely why I'm pissed off.

I hate daylight savings time.

And no, it's not just a spring thing; I hate it in the fall, too. It's not like you're actually gaining an extra hour of your life; it's just on loan until they want it back in the spring. Jerks.

I personally think the whole daylight savings thing is a co-conspiracy between the watch/clock manufacturers and the people who write owner's manuals. It makes you pay attention to them twice a year. I have no idea how to change half the clocks around my house, so every half year I am forced to find the owner's manual and go through step by step trying to figure out how to change the time. However, I do feel like I have thwarted their plans a little bit; I no longer wear watches, so I don't bother changing them back and forth.

The thing that really gets me is that now they're not just messing with me; they're messing with my kid, too. He has no idea what is going on, so his schedule gets all confused and forcibly adjusted and the poor guy just has to deal with it. Spring or fall, the schedule I have so carefully crafted for him gets all thrown off, and it is so irritating!

Also irritating: I have to do math all day long. I avoid doing math as much as I can; it's not my strong suit, and I just generally don't enjoy it. So, being forced to figure out what time it "really" is all day gets really old really quickly. And really confusing. Here's how it goes in my head:

"So I know I'm supposed to subtract an hour, but doesn't everything just jump ahead? Wouldn't that make Baylor get up an hour earlier, rather than later? Wait, what's my name again?"

See how things just snowball?

Did we learn NOTHING from Back to the Future?! You shouldn't mess with time, McFly! You just shouldn't.

Okay, onto my day. Luckily, one thing that doesn't get messed up is my meal schedule; I'm hungry all the time so it doesn't matter what time it really is. I'm just plain hungry. Speaking of which ...

1 comment:

Amber said...

In FSJ they don't do daylight savings time! They voted NOT to do it so the time NEVER changes up there.

Since I grew up with no time change, the last four years living in places where the time DOES change has really messed me up and I HATE IT!

I just think it's so freaking stupid. What's 1 measly hour? It only makes a difference in daylight for a couple of weeks anyways.