Monday, March 1, 2010

Mmm ... Monday BONUS: Cheesy Chicken & Salsa Skillet

I went to the grocery store today, and they were getting ready to make this meal in the Kraft Kitchen area of the produce section. It looked good, so I picked up the recipe to be used at a later date. Of course, hours after I got home I realized I didn't pick up a key ingredient for the meal I had intended on making tonight, so I decided to make this instead.

As previously implied, this is a Kraft Kitchens recipe. Bryson, Baylor, and I all really enjoyed it; it isn't too heavy, and it has a lot of good-for-you veggies. Give it a try!

Cheesy Chicken & Salsa Skillet

Prep Time: 10 minutes (unless you're me, then it'll take you forever to chop things up)
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings, 2 cups each

2 cups multigrain penne pasta, uncooked (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta instead)
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 1/4 cups Taco Bell Home Originals Thick N' Chunky Salsa
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 large green pepper, cut into short thin strips
1 cup Kraft Mexican Style 2% Milk Finely Shredded Four Cheese
1 small white onion, finely chopped (this was my addition and it was delicious)

Cook pasta as directed on package.

Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in salsa, corn, and peppers (and onion). Bring to boil. Simmer on medium-low heat 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.

Drain pasta. Add to chicken mixture; mix lightly. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 1 minute or until cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Doug said...

Keep the recipes coming!!! Michelle and I are always looking for new meal ideas that aren't overly complicated. It seems like everything I find online is a 12 step process to get to one dish. The recipes you post here aren't overly simple, but they're usually things I feel I could make after work one night if I get home at a reasonable hour.

Nicole said...

Doug, I'm so glad the recipes are of help! I'll try to post more as I find them. I'm making a new pizza recipe on Friday that looks promising. Oh, and I've gone back through my blog posts and I think I've labeled them all under "recipe" if you need past ideas. Some of our favorites are in there (though I will admit some of them are desserts), and some can be made ahead of time. :o)