Thursday, February 26, 2009

Beer Me Bread

Does anyone else out there love beer bread? I do! And I HATE beer. But in bread ... yummy!

I had a hankering for some beer bread the other day, so my mom (bless her heart) found me this awesome recipe on allrecipes.com. My husband made it last night and it was super!

Easy Beer Bread Mix

2 1/2 cups self-rising* flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 (12 fluid oz.) can beer
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch baking pan.

2. In a bowl, mix the self-rising* flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. Pour in the beer, and mix until just moistened. Transfer to the prepared baking pan. Top with the melted butter.

3. Bake 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

* If you aren't interested in buying a whole package of self-rising flour, you can make it yourself.
1 cup flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising flour

Try it out! It tastes fantastic. I used Miller Lite beer, but I'm wondering if a honey wheat would add a different flavor.

On a side note, the check-out girl at the grocery store didn't card me when I bought the beer. What the heck?! Am I getting that old?

2 comments:

Joanna Goddard said...

yum, this sounds so good :)

Nicole said...

A tweak ... you don't have to use a whole 1/4 cup of butter on top. It's just there to provide a glaze for the top of the bread. Just 2 Tbsp. is enough.