Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Brand Loyal to a Fault?

I don't know if any of you out there are like me, but I find myself being totally brand loyal. I buy Tide, Cascade, Downy, Jif, Kraft Cheese, Fiber One, etc.; I almost never buy the generic brand and rarely stray from the brand I am used to unless someone tells me they really liked this or that. When we lived in Dearborn, I saw that Farmer Jack's brand of grape juice was on sale, and since my husband is often shocked and appalled at the price of juice, so I decided to give it a try. Big mistake. It tasted disgusting! Maybe it was just me and what I am used to, but I could barely drink it.

I clip coupons and often have them for the brands I like to buy, but am I being silly? For example, I can buy Cascade brand dishwasher detergent with a coupon, OR I could buy the store brand for less. Inevitably I buy Cascade (though I do try to pair coupons up with sale prices), but in these difficult economic times I'm wondering if I'm doing the smart thing for my family.

Any advice or personal wisdom about brands and brand loyalty?

No comments: