Monday, February 16, 2009

Mmm ... Monday: Cowboy Casserole

I'm not making this tonight for dinner (things just didn't go quite right today) but we had this last week and it was killer! It comes from the cookbook my sister got for me for Christmas (101 Things to Do with a Casserole) - I highly recommend it.

Cowboy Casserole

1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (I used a yellow onion)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (I didn't put these in ... not into the spicy foods)
2 packages (6.5 oz. each) corn bread mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 can (14.75 oz.) cream-style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a frying pan, brown beef with onion and peppers until beef is done. Drain any excess grease and set aside.

In a bowl, combine corn bread mix, salt, baking soda, corn, milk, and eggs. Spread half the batter over bottom of a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle half the cheese over batter. Spoon meat mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle remaining cheese over meat mixture, and then spread remaining batter over top. Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes, or until corn bread is golden brown and set in the center. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Bonus: this recipe is really easy to cut in half. I made a half batch, my husband and I ate most of it, then he had one serving as a leftover a couple days later.

No comments: