Monday, February 9, 2009

Mmm ... Monday: Ultimate Pizza Sauce

So, I thought I'd start doing at least one regular post a week. Since I am trying to be a better housewife, and by default a better cook, I thought I'd share some of my favorite recipes.

Tonight for dinner we had pizza with homemade sauce. Usually we use Ragu Pizza Sauce, but I wanted to try something a little more challenging ... and I thought it'd be nice to know everything that was going into the sauce. I found this recipe on recipezaar.com back in August but hadn't tried it until a few weeks ago. It freezes incredibly well, and I would seriously consider making a double batch next time (a single batch makes enough for two pizzas).

Ultimate Pizza Sauce

1.5 hours 20 min. prep
Serves 4, 1-2 pizzas

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped (I left this out ... not a fan of celery)
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 2 ... I love garlic)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon fennel seed (I left this out ... it smelled funny)

1. In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery, and saute until soft and transparent.

2. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.

3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.

4. Simmer for 30 to 60 mintues (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).

5. Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.

If you want to see the nutrition facts about this recipe, check out recipezaar.com and look up recipe number 114392.

I really like this recipe, and we put the sauce on Boboli's 100% Whole Wheat Thin Pizza Crust. Try it out for yourself and see what you think!

No comments: