Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thoughts on a New Car

My husband, son, and I had dinner at our friends' house last night and while we were there they mentioned that her parents were trying to sell their minivan and were we interested. They gave us the stats on it (2001 Dodge Caravan, great condition, 100,000+ miles, etc.) and told us to think about it. So we did. We talked it over when we got home and we still don't know yet, but I have a feeling we will be at least taking a look at it.

Something my husband said during the course of our discussion really struck a chord with me. His main goal in us getting a bigger car is that we'll eventually (hopefully, knock on wood) have to tote around two kids and that "in a year and a half to two years we'll have two kids so we'll need a bigger car", maybe we should get it, etc. At that point I started doing the math in my head and realized I was gonna have to be pregnant again sometime in the near future. Whoa. Yes, I realize you usually have to be pregnant to get a baby, but it soooo feels like I JUST did that. I JUST lost the 64 pounds (yikes!) I gained with my son.


Don't get me wrong, I loved being pregnant ... coolest feeling ever to have someone kicking around inside you. The end kinda sucked (carpal tunnel syndrome, puffy from so much water-weight, stiff joints, etc.) but it was totally worth it. But the next time I am pregnant I don't get to focus all on me; I'll have my little boy to take care of. And what happens if I gain that much weight again? Would I be able to carry my kiddo around like I would want to? Oy!

And on a related topic, which of our cars would we be getting rid of? Would we try to sell my beloved Lola? (Yes, my family names our cars ... jealous?) I have had her since spring break of my junior year of high school ... she's been with me longer than my husband! As many fits as she has given me, and as "jank" as she is (according to my sister), I would probably cry if I had to give her up. Sooooo many memories.

Back to the potential new car, though ...

It would be so nice not to have to whack my head on the top of my car trying to get my son out, not to have to wrestle the stroller into my trunk, not to have to fill the rest of my car with groceries because the stroller takes up the entire trunk. But is this the right car for us? Only time will tell.

5 comments:

Autumn said...

The best part about being pregnant with #2 while trying to take care of #1 is how much faster the pregnancy seems to go. :) I knew I wanted my first two closer together and we started trying after my oldest turned 1. I love the spacing (21 months). Now, the spacing between #2 and #3 is not ideal (16 months) but she was a HUGE surprise and was far from being planned. And by far my pregnancy with her went the fastest. So, there are upsides to being pregnant while chasing after other kiddos.

Megan said...

i love that pic of you!

Nicole said...

Yeah, we are hoping for a two year spacing. We'll see how that goes. We had so much trouble just getting pregnant the first time that if the kiddos end up two years apart it'd be a miracle.

Shan said...

I LOVE my two year spacing of my kiddos. It is just about perfect.

Anonymous said...

I know I am already thinking about #2. If this year gets better I am thinking of starting to try again in the beginning of next year. That seems hard to believe.