Sunday, February 15, 2009

TMI ... the Things We Do for Love

Alright, I know for most people it's not generally considered good manners to talk about baby poop, but this is my blog and I'll do what I want! Just kidding.

In all seriousness, a baby's poop is one sure-fire way to tell how he/she is doing, if you're doing things right. And if our experiences can help someone else, then I feel like I should share.

Within the last month or so, my son has become rather constipated. We tried giving him barley to loosen things up; it worked for a while but then as we made the barley thicker things seemed to get worse. After looking at our pediatrician's website, we tried giving him water from a sippy cup (and then from a bottle) but he didn't seem to like that much and it was mostly going down his bib. So, after some friends came over and mentioned that she had had to increase her fiber intake to help with their son's constipation I decided to give that a try.

I eat Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal for breakfast and then a Fiber One bar (35%) and yogurt (20%) at some point during the day. It seems to be helping our son, and that's what's important. That said it is doing a number on me. (No pun intended.) Aside from when I was pregnant, I have never had such rampant gas in all my life. It is awful!

Alright, at the risk of mortifying my family any more than I already have, I will stop.

Bottom line: if your baby is constipated and you are breastfeeding it is worthwhile to try adding more fiber to your diet.

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Freakin awesome. I am dying over here. I love your blog so much and please keep posting anything you feel like posting. Damn the Man! Save the Empire! =]

Rock on. The advice won't help me right now - but who knows.