Saturday, April 25, 2009

Letter to My Sister (Happy Birthday, Christine! Pt. 2)

Dear Christine,

Twenty five years ago today my life changed dramatically ... I became your big sister. Though I have no actual recollection of it, it was - hands down - one of the best days of my life (right up there with becoming "wife" and "mother").

From the minute you entered the world, you have been a strong force in my life. There has never been even a second that I wished I didn't have you as a sister; even those trying moments when our relationship wasn't perfect, I have always been glad to call you mine.

You make me proud of you for all your strength, humor, smarts, and grace. Yes, I have often been jealous of you for all your natural gifts, but I am proud of you just the same.

Christine, you are the reason I want my son to have a sibling someday. I can't imagine my life without you in it, and I want him to know the same kind of friendship and love I have with you. I want him to know what it is like to have a person in your life that is like you (knows all your inside jokes, understands how you work, has the same sense of humor, etc.) but is different enough from you to keep things exciting.

Alright, enough waxing rhapsodic.

I hope you have the happiest of birthdays!

With love,

Your big sister,

N

1 comment:

rachel said...

what a sweet letter to christine! i feel those same feelings about lizzie, almost to the point where i am overwhelmed with love and luck to have her in my life! i have always wanted to have a big sister but i must say being the big sister to such an amazing little one is a pretty good place to be!