Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Treading Water

No one ever tells you how hard marriage is before you get married. Before you get married, it's all the wedding planning and wonderful times and, "Gee, isn't life grand?" All you are worried about is that one day, your wedding day; will you pull it off without a hitch? When really, you should be more concerned with treading water.

Marriage is like treading water; it takes constant work. You will NEVER become buoyant, and marriage will never be without effort. Yes, some days are easier than others; a flotation device will pass you by and offer your weary body a bit of a break. Other days, the waves will batter you like a small boat out at sea. It will take every ounce of effor to keep things afloat. But no matter what, as long as you value what you have, you have to keep treading, keep trying. The effort, the exhaustion is worth it.

*Sorry, I know this is a heavy post lodged in with the adorable pictures of my son, but I had an ephiphany and I had to get it out before I forgot it.

** This post is not directed at anyone in particular or because of anyone (i.e., hubby). I just had an ephiphany and needed to get it out.

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh I hear that. I was told before I got married that it was hard but I didn't really believe it - We are in love - what else is there? I thought but it is so much harder than that and if you both can't work on it you end up in different places. Which is very hard. But I am so very Happy for you and Bryson and hope you keep swimming together for a very long time. =]

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.