Sunday, April 5, 2009

Middle of the Night Post

Yeah, it's 3:22 a.m. ... jealous? I was up and had the itch to post so I figured I should. By the time morning rolls around, the words will have left me.

My son started crying around 3:00 a.m. and I figured I should go check him to see what was going on (lately he has been rolling over to his stomach in the middle of the night/during a nap and will just sit there and moan until someone helps him roll back over ... funny little guy). I'm not sure he was actually awake when I first got there, but putting my hand on his chest didn't help like it usually does and he started to cry like something was wrong so I picked him up.

The thought dawned on me that he might have pooped in his sleep, which instantly earned him a diaper change in the middle of the night. I turned on his moon night light, went over to the changing table with him, set him down, and he instantly started screaming, like his table was on fire and mean old Mommy had just left him there or something. I investigated more and thought I smelled something; after getting his diaper open I discovered he was just wet, but I had gone through the trouble of setting him down so I decided to finish the changing anyways.

That's when it hit me.

Oh ... my ... God ... I am going to wet myself! I have to pee SO BAD!

Crap. Those two ginormous glasses of water I had right before bed had kicked in.

Meanwhile, my son is still howling away, probably waking up my husband in the other room, giving him cause to think I am torturing him in his nursery. Agh. What to do? What to do?

Well, I had gotten his diaper off, new one half fastened ... (think fast, Nicole!) ... ah, I'll just take him with me to the bathroom.

Keeping the lights off, I schlepped him to the bathroom with me, diapering half-done, bare legs dangling out of his sleep sack, onesie undone, and held him while I went. Yes, I had to go THAT BAD. (And yes, we've done this before.) My son, who had stopped crying, was clinging to me like a little monkey in the wild. A tiny bit of moonlight was coming in the window and I glanced down to see my son's eyes as wide as saucers ... he was apparently terrified of the whole experience. (sigh) Bad mommy.

As I was going, something heavy dropped to the floor to my left. I reached down to discover his uber-wet diaper just sitting there ... apparently the open velcro had stuck to his sleep sack and we'd taken the whole kit and kaboodle with us to the bathroom. Whew! Lucky it wasn't a poopy one!

I finished up, tossed the old diaper in the trash, washed my free hand, and upon getting back to his room decided to take the "easy" way out and skip the changing table altogether. He had been such a good boy I didn't want to make him cry again unnecessarily. So I finished changing him while I fed him, which was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Things got pretty bunched up on our trip to the bathroom, and I ended up skipping fastening his onesie because I couldn't make the snaps meet.

I fed him and he, of course, fell asleep. Gotta love the drowsy effects of good ol' breastmilk! Hopefully he'll sleep a nice long while ... 10:00 a.m. or so would be awesome! (knock on wood)

Time for me to get back in bed. I am exhausted! Good night. Sweet dreams! Talk to you in the morning, Spartan Fans!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

I am so sorry - that sounds awful but it is totally one of those stories that is so funny now it is over. I've had weird babysitting experiences like that, none with bathroom things that I can remember, but you are a great Mom to do all that stuff! =]