Monday, April 20, 2009

Mmm ... Monday: Mom's Tasty Marinade AND Nicole's Summer Applesauce

Yup, today it's a two-fer! Two recipes in one posting ... can you stand it?!

Sorry, feeling a little excited about these two.

The first is a marinade recipe my mom apparently concocted and it is WONDERFUL! She's been using it for years, mainly on chicken, and it is truly delicious. You can serve it as is, or use the chicken (or other meat, whatever) for fajitas or stir fry. The sky is the limit!

Mom's Tasty Marinade

1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium La Choy)
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. oil (you can use olive or vegetable oil, though I usually use the latter)
pepper
garlic powder

Combine ingredients and marinate the poultry/meat for no more than 4 hours (though this is really an arbitrary number ... nothing horrible will happen if you do it for more than 4 hours). This will marinate about four normal-sized chicken breasts.


So that's recipe number one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Recipe number two is actually something simple I cooked up last week when we had some friends over for dinner. I needed an extra side dish to go with my fave recipe (Country Chicken Casserole) and felt like it should be a fruit since there are so many veggies in the casserole. I had applesauce on hand, but I felt like that was too easy and too bland for company. So I decided to spruce it up a bit! Here's the recipe for what I ended up with ... hope you enjoy it!

Nicole's Summer Applesauce

1/2 of a 23 oz. jar of Mott's Natural Applesauce (that's the brand I prefer ... no added sugar)
19 medium-sized strawberries (I thawed some frozen ones I had on hand)
15 oz. can of lite sliced pears (drained)

Puree the strawberries and pears and mix with applesauce. Refrigerate until well-chilled. Serve. Voila! Serves about four adults and one toddler.

It was seriously awesome and soooo easy! Refreshing and full of vitamins, this applesauce is a great way to get some extra color in your dinner, especially during the winter months when it is difficult to find fresh berries.

No comments: