Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ten Years

While we were in Florida, my husband and I celebrated our ten year dating anniversary! Whoa. Ten years. Crazy, right? Our first date was supposed to be a week earlier, but I shot him down on his first attempt to ask me out (to the circus - how cute?!) because I was a total dork and had a German group project to work on. Yeah, that was me in high school ... schoolwork before everything.

Anyhow, he asked me out again a week later and as I didn't have any pressing group projects to do, I said yes. We went to see Children of Eden, a school musical, then went out for dessert at Russ's (a local restaurant). He had apple pie ala mode, and I had a chocolate shake. He showed up to our first date (March 27th) wearing khaki shorts, tennis shoes, and a Hawaiian-print shirt, his hair just starting to regrow after having shaved it for the state swim meet.

As I don't have a picture of our first date (I honestly didn't even know if it was a date - though I hoped it was - and who knew we'd end up getting married), here is a picture from our second date ... junior prom!


Yes, I was terrified here. First dance, second date with Bryson, second date EVER (didn't quite know if they were, in fact, dates), liked him a lot, slightly embarassed because I knew my family would probably tease me about SOMETHING later.

Yes, I am a total dork. I took pictures of the original pictures because I couldn't figure out how to scan them into my computer. Jealous?


Quite frankly, it's a miracle there was even a second date. I barely talked and was just astonished that he would even pay attention to me (Bryson was, in my estimation, VERY popular in high school ... and I was definitely not). But he liked me, for whatever reason, and we ended up dating for the latter part of our junior year and all of our senior year of high school. Then, at the end of the 2000 summer, we broke up and went to different colleges. Including that first break-up we broke up and got back together a total of eight times. Whew. Our dating years were certainly not without their share of heartache (on both sides), but we got through them.

In August we will have been married for four years and while it hasn't always been easy, it has been so worth it. Nothing good in life comes without at least a little struggle, and since neither one of us is perfect we have to work at it. Everyone does. But we have a good foundation and the good outweighs the not-so-good, so we stick with it.

Here we are on our ten year anniversary date at the Bubble Room (a 30s/40s themed restaurant in Captiva, FL).

Here is the Bubble Room from the outside ... it is sort of a mess of a building, but the food was great.

So here's to us, sweetheart. I love you!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Awwww, happy anniversary! That's great! Me and my b/f were high school sweethearts too and we've definitely suffered through our share of heartbreak as well. You're right, things like that are NEVER easy!!

Aubrey said...

One of my favorite High School moments EVER - and there were so not a lot of them was one day talk to you after the first time Bryson ask you out and you said something to me along the lines of: "What if he doesn't really like ME what if he is just asking me out to get closer to one of my friends, like you!" and I just gave you a look and you said :"Yeah, I know. You're right..." I wanted to fall over laughing it was so funny because anyone with eyes could tell he liked you. =] Congrats!