Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tick Tock: Ants Galore

I took a shower with three ants today. Two had climbed the walls to eye-level and the third had reached the summit of Mt. Suave Body Wash and was basking in his own glory. I was less than thrilled.

We rarely see bugs in our house; occasionally we get a spider here or there and there is always the inundation of lady bugs at one point during the year, but for the most part we are insect-free. Except our second floor master bathroom. For years now we have had a small colony of ants living with us, sharing our bathroom space. At first it was just a rogue ant or two; now they mill about the place as if it was theirs. It has taken them years to break into the shower, but they finally have ... and I have had about enough of it. I have had enough of sharing our bathroom with these small, slow little creatures.

Yes, they are harmless.

Yes, I feel intense guilt washing them down the drain or crushing them with a piece of toilet paper; I often imagine that their death will be reported on later in their local paper - "Joe passed today after reaching the heights of glory. Upon setting foot at the top of Mt. Suave Body Wash, he was brutally swept away to The Drain by a lumpy giant. He will be missed by his wife and the forty children he fathered with the Queen."

Still, it's our bathroom and I want it back. So, part of Operation Tick Tock (I guess that's what I'm calling these next few months now) will be to reclaim our bathroom from the ant infestation. Today I plan on buying caulk and pesticide (and hopefully enlisting someone else's help ... otherwise my cleaning gloves will be shocked upon use) and fixing the problem.

I have had it! Wish me luck!

No comments: