Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Broken Hearted Pt. 3

Yup, a third night of awful. I was soooo hoping all those comments would be right and after two nights my son would get it. But alas, last night was rough, too.

About a half an hour after I put him down to sleep, he woke up and started sobbing. Hardcore, flat out sobbing. Again, like I had totally abandoned him, never to return. He kept at it for probably about ten minutes and then quieted down to sleep. Of course, hearing him cry like that, and it beginning so out-of-the-blue, made my pulse quicken and my nerves push toward the brink. I hate hearing my beautiful boy SO upset.

A couple hours later (though I don't know the exact time ... I am blind without my glasses), he started sobbing again. And again, like I left him - alone - for good. This time he cried for about fifteen minutes (again, an estimation ... my husband said about halfway through that it had been seven minutes so I'm going off that), and then quieted down.

In spite of his accomplishing getting back to sleep by himself, I was left feeling broken-hearted once again. He sounded so sad, so beside himself with grief. I am scared for when he wakes up this morning; I want him to look at me like he did before this whole crying-it-out thing started ... like I was the best thing in the world. In the last two days, it seems like my halo has tarnished a bit for him and it is tearing me up inside.

Alright, enough of my lamentation. What's done is done. There is no going back. Here's hoping for a good day today and an even better night tonight.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

Well, a sign that it's working is each night it takes less and less time for him to put himself back to sleep. I know how rough this is. ((HUGS)) You mentioned before you thought he was teething. Do you think maybe his early wake-up may be his teeth bothering him? I'd try giving him a dose of tylenol before you put him to sleep to see if that helps.

Nicole said...

Yeah, we've tried the tylenol thing and it did help a bit, but then some nights we could tell that he was just waking up to say hi and get snuggled. It's a crapshoot to tell which days he actually needs and which days it just helps him sleep a smidgen better.