Thursday, May 14, 2009

Why I Am Pale

I love being tan ... there, I said it. But facts are facts and as much as I love a good "healthy" glow, I know it's not actually healthy at all. My Uncle Craig died of malignant melanoma last year and everyday I think about him as I carefully apply my sunscreen. I think about my son and how I want to be around for as much of his life as possible. I think about my husband and how I want to make it to our 60th wedding anniversary together. And I know that taking good care of myself is key to a long, healthy life.

So I am trying. Applying sunscreen daily is one of the easiest things you can do to help prevent cancer, and while it's easy to forget sometimes and can make your skin feel a little less fresh it is SO worth it.

Tomorrow is our walk for the Relay for Life and you can still donate to our team! Donations even as small as $5.00 (the minimum donation allowed) can help! Please visit my personal page at: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09National?px=9873464&pg=personal&fr_id=14395

My blogger friend Amber Yake is also looking for donations for a half marathon she is doing on June 28th to benefit the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Visit her at: http://amric1409-lifeasiknowit.blogspot.com/2009/05/running-for-cause.html

Every little bit helps! Have a wonderful day! Enjoy some pictures of my son while you are donating!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Thank you so much for linking and donating to me Nicole, I really appreciate it! I'm headed over to your page now :-)

I have recently started applying sunscreen and stopped tanning (ps: I find that neutrogena build a glow works really well for a self-tanner). Even though I love the look of my skin when it is slightly bronzed, it just isn't worth the risk to me, especially since I'm very pale and burn easily!

Good luck in your walk tomorrow! Your son is ADORABLE as usual :-)