Monday, May 25, 2009

Mmm ... Monday: Potato Smashers

This recipe comes from the Kraft Food & Family magazine, but the pictures come from me! Yes, I finally remembered to take a few pictures for the blog, and yes they are sideways - I corrected the orientation in our computer, but blogger seems to think they should be portraits. Whatever.

These are a fantastically yummy, super easy side dish that I have recently fallen in love with. Part of their appeal is that they are easy to customize ... an attractive feature to those of us who happen to be picky eaters. I'll share my ideas on this below the recipe.

Potato Smashers

8 small new potatoes (3/4 lb), about 1 1/2 inches in diameter
1/2 cup water
4 slices Oscar Mayer Center Cut Bacon
2 Tbsp. Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1/2 cup Kraft Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Place potatoes and water in 2 qt. microwaveable dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels.

Drain potatoes; place on work surface. Press each potato with bottom of small bowl or saucer to flatten to 1/2-inch thickness.

Heat dressing in skillet on medium heat. Add potatoes; cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Meanwhile, crumble bacon. Turn potatoes over; sprinkle evenly with cheese and bacon. Cover skillet with lid. Cook an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings, 2 topped potatoes each. (Though I found that two potatoes per person weren't exactly enough ... three was more like it.)



As you can see from the pictures, I omitted the bacon (because we didn't have any and I'm not a fan anyhow), and added chopped red onions to my husband's. Next time I think I might caramelize some yellow onions and top with those. Just add whatever toppings you like when you are supposed to add the cheese and bacon. Also, for a little more flavor, you can add minced garlic to the dressing ... we did that the first time and it was delicious!

I hope you enjoy these! We certainly have.

No comments: