Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Finger Foods

I can't believe my son is actually old enough to be eating finger foods. Yes, we started trying out some bite-sized morsels for him this weekend - with varied success, of course. We started out on Saturday giving him peas and peeled, cut up grapes with dinner. Those didn't go overly well; they were a little difficult to pick up and stayed in his mouth for a very long time.

Then Sunday morning we shared a banana with him ... here are the pictures from that endeavor:



Apparently the fresh banana is a little less sweet than the Gerber variety. Oh well, it made for a cute face (and picture).
We'll keep trying. Any advice? Foods to try? Ways to prepare them?

4 comments:

Autumn said...

Just give him whatever you're eating...seriously. With my youngest I skipped baby foods all together and just moved her straight to people food. If it's soft, let him try it. Noodles, potatoes, rice, chicken, ground meat, different textures, different flavors. My youngest is by far my best and most adventurest eater. At that age she loved most fruits, veggies like cucumbers, avacados, sweet peas, chick peas, shredded carrots, corn. Try and have a few different options on the tray, different colors and textures and let him explore!

Shan said...

Ditto what Autumn said. Jack never did eat Gerber food and Nick probably won't either. :)

Nicole said...

Good to know, guys! Thanks for all the advice! Do I need to cook things longer for him to soften them up or should I just give it to him as is?

Autumn said...

I never did, but do what you're comfortable with. I just made sure things were in bite sized pieces so if she wouldn't choke if she just tried to swallow without chewing. Let us know how it goes!!