Monday, January 21, 2013

A Year of Gratitude: Day 75 (and Mmm ... Monday!)

Today I am grateful that the dinner I made turned out well.  I made a new chili recipe, and you never really know how it's going to turn out or how the family will like it.  Usually I have to bribe Mollie to eat chili by letting her use tortilla chips as a spoon (mother of the year right here, by the way), but tonight she actually ate it.  Yes, she told me it looked "yucky" first, but once she tried it she was okay eating it.

I thought I'd include the recipe here in case anyone else is interested in a low sodium turkey chili recipe with lots of flavor.  It is from 500 15-Minute Low Sodium Recipes by Dick Logue and though it took me WAY longer than 15 minutes to make, it was still awesome.  (I am one of the slowest cooks ever, by the way, so please don't let that deter you from trying it.)  Here is the way it is listed in the cookbook; I had to change it a little bit given the ingredients I had on hand and how the measurements worked out, and I will try to include those below.


Turkey Chili

1 pound (454 g) ground turkey
1 cup (150 g) finely chopped green bell pepper
1 cup (160 g) finely chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cans (14.5 oz, or 411 g, each) no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained
2 cups (500 g) kidney beans, cooked or canned, drained
2 cups (500 g) black beans, cooked or canned, drained
2 cups (470 ml) low-sodium chicken broth
12 ounces (336 g) frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 can (6 ounces, or 170 g) no-salt-added tomato paste
1 tablespoon (7.5 g) chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Coat the inside of a 4-quart (4-L) slow cooker with cooking spray.  In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, green pepper, and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink.  Add the garlic, cook 1 minute longer.  Drain.  Transfer to the slow cooker.  Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, broth, corn, tomato paste, chili powder, pepper, cumin, and garlic powder.  Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or until cooked through.

* My changes: 3/4 of a pound of ground turkey, 1 can of kidney beans (drained), 1 can of black beans (drained), 1 white onion, and 2 cloves of garlic (minced).

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!

Have a wonderful night!

No comments: